Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog Post #3


I checked out Gary's Social Media Count, and man, this thing blows my mind! It is a basic counter for all of the expanding media of today, such as Facebook, games, Youtube, and many other technologies. It isn't actually tallying them up, but is based on the statistics of these techs, so that it can estimate about how much they really are increasing.

So what do I think they mean for my professional career as a teacher? I think it has drastic implications! We are moving more and more into a world where technology is needed to succeed, and we, as teachers, need to be able to grasp technology and educate our students so that they will be able to go into this technological world and succeed.

I watched A Vision of Students Today, and it basically points out many facts about the students of today in an attempt to paint a disparaged image of the classroom of today. As a student and teacher, I can see that a lot of work needs to be done on the classroom. I feel like the optimal class size is around 20-30 students, but even I have a class that has over 100 students in it. With smaller class sizes, the classroom becomes more engaging and personal, and also, it is easier for the teacher to monitor students texting and using their computers for personal use. However, we should not eliminate computers from the classroom because this would go against everything I have said about technological literacy. We need computers in the classroom, and not just for use in making word documents! We also need to use technology to make the classroom more green. So much paper is used in classrooms today, and as a teacher, I would like to utilize the computers to cut down on that cost.

2 comments:

  1. Zack,

    I enjoyed reading your post!! I agree with everything you said. And it is kinda funny and weird because I stated the exact same things in my blog post #3! I totally agree that it does get harder for the teacher to manage their classroom with the increased amount of students. I've seen that for myself! Enjoyed it! Good Job!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zack,

    You're basically becoming an EDM-pro. Excellente!

    I've probably said this before, but I love how you you relate the required readings/videos to your own professional career. Keep up the good work!

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete