Sunday, November 6, 2011

Blog Post #11

This week, we had to watch two videos involving Ms. Cassidy. The first was First Graders in Mrs. Cassidy's Class and the second was The Skype Interview with Ms. Cassidy. Ms. Cassidy uses an approach that is very close, if not dead on, to what Dr. Strange wants us to be like. She gets her students involved in blogging, and she helps lead them to useful places on the internet where they can learn. She gets them on the computers at least once a week, and her methods emulate greatly what we should strive to be like.

As a high school math teacher, I think it is nearly impossible to implement very much of her methods into my classroom. I mean, the idea of using Facebook to post assignments was pretty great, but a student suggested that. I just do not see an administrator approving very much of using math time to get on the internet and blog. I do think that the internet is a valuable tool to a math student, but I do not see her techniques in my classroom. I could use the internet to post my lessons as videos online, and I could also keep all of my assignments online for ease of access, but she never really mentioned that.

There are definite benefits to her approach to education. It helps get students interested and excited about learning. Her methods help them to be self-learners, and it points them in the right direction in terms of how to find useful information on the web (also how to avoid the bad).

4 comments:

  1. "I do think that the internet is a valuable tool to a math student,..." Really? Maybe we can get some Twitter comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are missing the point of the use of the internet. Simply put if you are using it to only do the same old thing (show videos of instruction versus lecture) there is only some limited value.

    The real value a math class can have using the internet is through the connections and interactions made by your students and yourself. Imagine your students connecting to engineers that need math for their career. Isn't that better than Kahn Academy videos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not missing the point at all. It doesn't matter how many engineers they know. I could know 100,000 engineers, and it isn't going to help me be a better mathematician if I don't put in the actual time to practice my math skills.

    Also, I don't think that any administrator in the world is going to approve time for blogging in a high level math class. It isn't a feasible or helpful idea.

    *reposted to correct phone's autocorrect errors.

    ReplyDelete